[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Hitachi 6309 questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 18:32:12 EST 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009, David Bush wrote:
>Okay, thanks, but I would still like to know how to add a 6309 CPU to
>my CoCo. Do I just remove the 6809 and drop in the 6309?

Essentially yes, but put a socket under it.
>Is this
>something someone with minimal hardware experience should attempt?

No.  Hot soldering irons take the 'nak' to run well. I would practice on a lot
of throwaway stuff first.  And expect to pay around $130 for a decent temp
controlled iron.

>Are
>there instructions anywhere on the Net? Where can I get a 6309
>appropriate for the CoCo?

Mark Marlette, Cloud 9, has some I believe.  And he can put it in for you for
a nominal fee considering the work involved.

>I realize that bit 0 of the MD register should be set to 0 for
>emulation mode and 1 for native mode. But how do I set it? The TFR
>command does not seem to work; its postbyte uses 4 bits to specify the
>source register and 4 bits for the destination register. All 16
>possibilities are used for other registers. Similarly, the BAND BOR
>BIAND BIOR bit-transfer commands do not seem to work. EXG I'm not sure
>about.

There are references available, but I'm not sure of the site address.  Someone
will probably advise on that though.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)