[Coco] Old techies

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Feb 10 19:55:33 EST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 3:10 PM, brjeremy at juno.com wrote:
> "I've got Batman on me underpants."

A quote that's hard to forget! I wonder if he realizes it will lives
on in stories well beyond the original encounter?

> I can't help but wonder how different some of our lifes would have
> been if we had been able to have usage of computers at that age,
> which for

Indeed... But I wonder -- what would you have done with them? If we
had computers like today, would any of us have learned to program
them? Or would we have all just been users, treating them like an
appliance (no doubt, how much kids today would -- or video game
machines).

We have younguns today that know their way around Windows quite well,
but may never know how to do anything more than just customize a
MySpace page when it comes to doing something other than just running
a program.

> Text based adventure games : "Pick up the book...." "Enter the
> room"...when way do you turn? England has gotten very interested in
> RETRO styles and other things. Some on my older really got
> interested in games such a Rescue on Fractalus. At first they
> thought that 8-bit graphics

I noticed they had -- a few years ago -- the text Infocom
"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" game (one of a handful that were
ported to the CoCo) as an online version with pictures for each room,
in the style of the 1980s BBC TV series.

		-- Allen