[Coco] Old techies

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Feb 10 12:41:28 EST 2009

Bill wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what is the average age of this group. I'm 60, and
> had my first CoCo in 1980 (that precious grey machine- 4k "baby basic" and a
> cassette recorder)

I'll pull the average down a smidge at 40 years old.

Got the old grey CoCo w/ 4K, a cassette recorder, a pair of joysticks,
and a Quasar Commander cartridge in 1980, the summer after my 6th grade
year.  Still have it, though the original cassette recorder doesn't
work, the CoCo is no longer in original condition (lots of mods and has
had the chicklet keyboard replaced by a spare CoCo 3 keyboard), and the
handle snapped off one of the original joysticks.  I did recently find a
4K grey CoCo in very good condition at a computer surplus place, and
snatched it up for $5, so I could still put together a system like that
original one, 28 1/2 years ago.

JCE