[Coco] CoCoNet status

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Feb 10 00:43:25 EST 2009

At 05:45 PM 2/9/2009, you wrote:
>Hey guys, CoCoNet just gained the auto-update feature!  It also has
>the side effect of allowing Virtual Game Paks....
>
>Read on...
>
>The very top of the CoCoNet ROM has code that tries to replace
>itself with an updated .rom file (on your PC).  If the .rom is not
>CoCoNet, it starts up like a game pak.  So, CoCoNet is also a Live
>ROM Pak.  From your PC you tell the CoCo what ROM to boot up with -
>CoCoNet, a game pak, utility pak, embedded pak, etc.  Otherwise, the
>cartridge's EPROM already contains a version of CoCoNet that continues to boot.
>
>This is over the bitbanger cable, and it's still very cool.  I can't
>wait to see all this go wireless.
>
>Wireless virtual disks
>Wireless ROM Paks
>Wireless HTTP requests

Today I did more work and testing with the Live ROM Pak.  This is
pure magic.  The CoCoNet Pak (both bitbanger and bluetooth) both will
serve many purposes even as simple as the system is.  Technically the
self-replacing ROM doesn't have to have anything other than the
replacement routine, but that would require the PC to serve up either
CoCoNet or a game, etc.  Instead, CoCoNet + the updater are on the
EPROM in case nothing is served from the PC as an update or replacement ROM.

All you see when you turn the CoCo on is a few seconds of delay while
CoCoNet figures out if it can update itself with a game or another
copy of CoCoNet, and then you get either the Disk BASIC 1.1 boot
screen, or a game firing up.  It's practically transparent.  No need
to mail out updated EPROMs.  The users can just download the latest
client ROM and nothing has to be done from the CoCo at all.

Now you can develop game paks or even DOSes from the Rainbow IDE
(click Build, the .rom appears in your Files folder), turn on your
CoCo and it automatically runs the ROM as if a ROM Pak is
inserted.  This is live code testing at its best, or just a way to
run hundreds of game paks without owning the real thing.  It's almost
the same as an ROM/EPROM emulator.  The only thing I haven't tested
yet is a wireless connection and that's because those boards aren't here yet.

What I'm doing now is through a simple EPROM Pak and a bitbanger
cable.  This is by far the most "amazifying" piece of software I've
probably created yet, yet it's the simplest compared to my other systems.

There's no hardware gadgets or tricks to any of this other than the
ROM Pak containing a custom patched Disk BASIC 1.1 that can replace
itself on powerup.  So far this only works on a CoCo 3.  In order to
work on a CoCo 1 or 2 it has to be 64K and I need to put the all-RAM
routine in somewhere.  However, this will kill the 115200 bps mode
since a CoCo 2 can't run at double speed while in all-RAM
mode.  You'll still get 57600 bps which is actually pretty fast.

What I propose now is that CoCoNet have Virtual Memory access by
using the PC's resources yet again to give the CoCo more power.  If
all of this can be possible from a cheap ROM Pak, why try to invent
some huge expensive cartridge that nobody can afford?  Is software
the solution?  It can be.  So far, I've ditched the floppy drives and
ROM Paks, and when the bluetooth pak is done, there goes the idea of
a needing an MPI for a Deluxe RS-232 Pak slot.

I should really call this thing the Mystery Box and put no label on
the cartridge.  Or perhaps, the All-in-One Pak.  :)

A few copies of this little ROM Pak should be available by this
weekend to the testers chosen to play around for a while before I
release the final gizmo.  The programs I work on as demos will be,
again... Live, to the testers who will just mount my updated floppy
disk by pointing to a URL on the web.  The virtual disk is then
accessible from their CoCo.

Anything else I mention is probably giving too much secret and
mystery away, so I'll get back to the drawing board and get this
thing finished already.

Roger Taylor

--
Roger Taylor