[Coco] [Color Computer] cpu and memory upgrade

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Feb 6 22:59:45 EST 2009

coconutcowboy2002 wrote:
> I heard there is a cpu upgrade and memory upgrade for my coco3.

The Hitachi 6309 is a 6809 compatible CPU with extra registers, extra
instructions (including hardware division and block transfer
instructions), and can run in a mode where it executes many instructions
in fewer clock cycles than the 6809.  You need special software in order
to take advantage of most of these features.  The 6309 version of
NitrOS-9 is an example.

There have been many memory upgrades for the CoCo 3, from 256k to 512K
(by far the most common), to 1 or 2M and beyond.  Anything beyond 512K
will come with an extra board that enhances the MMU's DAT.

Cloud 9 sells 6309 upgrades and 512K upgrades.  (http://www.cloud9tech.com/)
> also can a anolog computer monitor vga or svga connected to this
> computer?

Not without an adapter.  There's a guy who subscribes to this list by
the name of Roy Justus (did I spell that correctly?) who designed and
sells a box that lets you use the CoCo 3 with a VGA monitor.

JCE