[Coco] OT: OS-9 contribution to 80's music

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 15:03:15 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diego Barizo"

> Who would have known?
> Without the 6809 and OS-9 L.II the music scene of the 80's would have been
> very different.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight_CMI
> According to the list, bands from A-ha to ZZ Top used it.
>
> Diego

 Wow!

 I did a little Goggleing on this subject and found a lot of interesting
tidbits of trivia and news.

 In '06, a charity sale on eBay had a Fairlight CMI keyboard signed by 44
legendary artists and offered it up for a mere $100,000.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2006/12/05/fairlight-signed-by-44-pop-stars-on-ebay/
On this page, there are links to other interesting nostalgia on the
Fairlight CMI.

  The history is interesting, starting with a dual 6800 processor system,
then upgrading to 6809 and adding in the 68xxx chips.
  It seems these were some pretty smart dudes.
  I never even heard of this until now and it seems these Fairlight systems
were INSTRUMENTAL in the music industry in the 80s.
  This also was part of the "New Age" music development.

 Who'd a thunk the Motorola chip would have been so impressive on the music
industry.

George