[Coco] CoCo does wireless telnet

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Feb 23 13:16:34 EST 2009

Someone here posted a link a few months back for the InternetModem
page.  I just googled up the site and the first thing I noticed was
the Visual Basic 2005 source code link.  I grabbed the source code
and rebuilt the a VS 2008 project from it.  The utility (at minimum)
does exactly what I expected.  It acts like it's a modem and responds
to a remote terminal just like a modem responds when you issue AT commands.

The only difference in my case is I'm talking wirelessly to the fake
modem with my bluetooth pak on a CoCo 3.

In addition, I'm also able to telnet around!   I just ATDT'ed into a
freenet site (not by phone number, but by IP) and it connects at
19200 and spits out the text just like the old BBS days.  So, this is
my first wireless internet session over the bluetooth pak.  It's
obviously not a direct connection but it doesn't matter because a
connection is a connection is a connection.  :)  Lose the wires, and
it just makes it seem even more like a direct connection.

Any nice CoCo comm program that has an autodialer without
restrictions on the phone number format can just use the telnet
server addresses instead, and you connect just like you're dialing in.

I just left the CoCo alone for 5 minutes and I now see "NO CARRIER"
on Ultimaterm's screen.  The telnet server timed out at the login
prompt.  Before I got the login prompt I got an 80x24 screen full of
ASCII-arranged "graphics" just like the good ole days.

I'm not sure whether the author of InternetModem plans to expand it
or not, but I've got the source code and open for ideas.  :)

Not to be confused with my CoCoNet system which will fetch web pages
and files via HTTP requests, all from BASIC.
--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com