[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 69, Issue 10

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 22:17:09 EST 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 10:07:32 -0600
> From: Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] [Color Computer] Remove case yellowing
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> Andrew,
> When you quoted Steven's message it didn't separate his original text
> from your text.  What e-mailer are you using that doesn't use the
> typical  > ,  | ,  or ]  character?

The reason why my response was messed up is many-fold. I receive the
list in digest format, and I read it with Thunderbird (in the recent
past, before mid-December 2008, I used Mozilla Mail).

I am not sure where the problem lies, but when I reply to the digest
email of the list, Thunderbird "chops" the email off arbitrarily
(generally just before the email I want to reply to - at least, that's
how it seems to me!). So, for those messages, I have to do a cut-n-paste
job. Usually, I will stick in the appropriate ">" symbol, but I must've
forgot this time.

Some things I have noticed about this issue:

a. It happened when I used Mozilla Mail, and I had hoped that when I
upgraded to Thunderbird, that it would go away, but it didn't.

b. When I read the email digest in Thunderbird, at certain points in the
digest (it seems random - it isn't based on the length or number of
bytes or anything), the email will go from regular color (black) to a
different color (grey on my system). Sometimes, it will return back from
grey to black, then back again. I am not saying it changes position or
anything in the message as I read it, just that the long message has
these blocks of different coloring. I don't know why it is like this.

c. I have noticed that when I reply, the message is "cut off" right at
the point of the color change.

d. Viewing the source of the message (even in a hex editor) at the point
of "transition", did not reveal anything special that I could see,
compared to other digests (I save them), or to other areas in the text.

So - I don't know if this is a problem with Thunderbird/Mozilla, the
digest, or what. I suspect my email reader, but I don't have any hard
evidence to back that up. I read in HTML format, but the text of the
digest comes through as ASCII text. I haven't been able to figure out
whether this plays any part, either.

I've done a little bit of searching about the problem, but I haven't
found much of anything about it. It doesn't seem to affect other emails
I get, but then again the CoCo list is the only one I receive with such
a high volume of messages creating a large digest email.

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona