[Coco] The Coco's first webserver, written in Basic09

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Dec 31 15:56:36 EST 2009

At 01:43 PM 12/31/2009, you wrote:
>The reality is that the Coco, while an amazing computer, is never
>going to be a good general purpose web server.  The computer on the
>other end of the DriveWire cable would probably be a much better
>choice.  There just isn't enough bandwidth to serve very much content,
>as you can sort of see with the links I gave to load files off the
>drives.  Wait till you see how long it takes an image, even a 4k
>image, to load.

The other reality is that most of us here know how to program a CoCo
which does make it an ideal limited-purpose server.  I haven't heard
back from anybody trying out my CoCoNet ROM that was posted on
Christmas Eve, but it can request web pages and send data to web
scripts over the bitbanger cable or 6551 RS-232 Pak, and using a
BASIC program the user can program timed access that does all kinds
of cool stuff.  The PC does act as the gateway which is probably how
the future features will be handled in my own networking scheme.

Have you tried anything like controlling some peripherals from over
the web?  Also, if the data served out is small (even as low as 1
byte containing 8 status bits) then I don't see a major problem with
the CoCo being able to keep up with random requests.

Anywhooo, at the rate you're going I'm looking for you to be the one
who gives us that TCP/IP stack.  :)

Keep up the excellent work.

--
~ Roger Taylor