[Coco] The Coco's first webserver, written in Basic09

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 09:40:37 EST 2009

Wayne Campbell wrote:
> If I am understanding you correctly, the idea is you are generating
> this code, then converting it to Basic09.
Yes. First, you author some HTML code using any standard web page
editor. You may include BASIC09 code, provided it is enclosed within <%
and %>, so that your page is an active one. Second, you convert this
HTML file to a BASIC09 procedure using an automated tool. Third, you
compile (pack) the resulting procedure into I-code so that it can be run
efficiently on the CoCo.

> I assume the content could be different with each run, so you would be
> repacking this continually.
No. There's something you don't understand. The HTML content delivered
to the client could be different on each run (it depends on whether you
authored a passive page or included some BASIC09 into it ), but the code
generating this HTML content on the server would remain the same. AFAIK,
this is how every active server works. This is even how the first
version of Aaron's server was working (i.e. same code, different result
every time you visit the page).

> However, if this is a compile once-run many times thing,
Yes, it is.

> then why not just write the Basic09 procedure as a procedure and pack it?

Because you may want to create your web pages using standard visual web
authoring tools instead of writing BASIC09 code using a text editor.
Well, if you don't, I would.