[Coco] The Coco's first webserver, written in Basic09

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 00:16:02 EST 2009

Willard Goosey wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 07:13:40PM -0500, Christian Lesage wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, is BASIC09 always compiled? I mean, do you
>> necessarily have to compile your scripts before you can RUN them? IIRC,
>> it is not mandatory, but I could be wrong.
>>

> BASIC-09 source can only be RUN from within the BASIC09 interpeter.
> Compiled Icode can only RUN binary or Icode modules.

Then, let's compile the source code into Icode prior to running the
server. See the sample I wrote in another reply to the same thread.

> It would be sort of cool if we had a stripped-down BASIC-09 interpeter
> engine as a subroutine module, so that a larger program could could
> hand it scripts, but that would use up a lot of the program's 64K code
> space.

It would also be painfully slow, assuming you write such an interpreter
using BASIC09. However, just like Aaron pointed out, I don't see why you
would need to implement a language within the language.