[Coco] DriveWire success... and some questions

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Dec 28 17:42:18 EST 2009

Joel,

There isn't much lower level you can get than the raw sector reads that the WD1773 does by default under the command of BASIC.

Analysis of the errors given by the particular bad sector may give some indication of the nature of the problem, as any error returned by BASIC is just ?IO ERROR when there are in reality several different types of errors that can be encountered during the read operation. The folks here can probably go into further detail, but the WD1773 chip datasheet may be worth looking at.

I would also try reading the disk in several different drives. Here is one case where having access to an 80 track drive may be helpful as the smaller head pitch may be able to read a part of the wider original track that's still good.