[Coco] Play with NitrOS-9 over the Internet

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:31:26 EST 2009

Thanks to your listing of a massive file last night, and the resulting
unresponsiveness of Boisy's coco, I was inspired to rewrite the
routines for deciding who gets a turn at sending data over the virtual
channels.

This situation will not happen again.  Interactive sessions (users
typing things, basically) now have priority over bulk transfers.  Each
port ages when it doesn't get to send during a poll, and the oldest
port interactive port always gets to send.  This promotes fairness
even amongst equally interactive sessions.  Bulk ports only send when
no interactive ports have data waiting, and still go in aged order to
smooth things out.

The end result is that you can now do a large data transfer and
continue to use other terminals with minimal slowdown.  I can actually
do three wget's of large websites, FTP transfers or server file
listings all at the same time and am still able to use a fourth
terminal, although at that point it gets pretty tedious :)  The Coco
is awesome, OS-9 is amazing, but there is only so much she can do "at
one time", although this limit is surprisingly high.  I've often
thought I'd hit a performance barrier only to find it is my code that
is limiting throughput, not the Coco.

I believe the new traffic shaping routines are live on Boisy's Coco.
Combined with bug fixes (my mistake!) in the OP_WRITE routine and some
other optimizations in the server, it is now quite practical to use
wget to transfer the contents of most any URL directly to a file on
your Coco (or display on the screen, wget writes to stdout).
Performance in interactive sessions, especially with multiple
sessions, should be noticeably improved.

-Aaron