[Coco] OT: Atari ST Firmware (Was: Re: DriveWire printing options )

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 26 13:04:01 EST 2009

On Saturday 26 December 2009, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> That may be.  I'm almost certain DR did the GEM GUI, but maybe Atari
>>> wrote the rest...  I know that the floppy disk format is very similar to
>>> a DOS FAT.
>>>
>>> JCE
>>
>> I wasn't aware of that, never having gotten the one I got at the cocofest
>> out of the box as the crt in the 12 or 13" monitor took longer to warm up
>> than it got at the fest.
>>
>> Does anyone know what sort of monitor it needs?  If NTSC, I still have a
>> 17" with composite inputs.  vga or better, I have a 22" samsung tv that
>> looks very nice when driven by an old liinux box with a quite old nvidia
>> tnt card in it.
>
>The Internet says they want RGB monitors at NTSC sync rates, so whatever
>you are using with a CoCo 3 or an Amiga should work with the proper cable.
>
>I've always wanted to play with an ST, but though I've acquired an
>unmanageably large collection of antique computers, somehow the Atari
>stuff has not fallen into my hands.  OS-9 disk images can be found.  I
>tried them out on one of the emulators once, and they got tantalizingly
>close to booting before locking up.
>
>JCE

Pay the packing & freight?  Must be 100+ pounds as there are lots of docs &
magazines, other accessories, a small 5.25" hard drive, a good 6 cu foot of
stuff without decent packing.

Or send me the disk images, that would maybe be the round tuit that would
make me clear off a piece of the pool table & see if I could make it work
again.