[Coco] DriveWire printing options

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 01:20:53 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> I'm sure there are some of us who still like to do development work on the
> real thing, and often being able to list all or part of a source file is
> useful.
>
> How likely is it to be able to catch the large range of Tandy printers that
> were used, and convert their output (usually in various graphics modes) to a
> raster image for printing on a Windows printer, or to a PDF or other
> graphics file such as jpeg? If this was a possibility then various
> programmes which produce graphics output could be used.

Java has good support for rendering 2D graphics, and once you have an
image, its simple to output it to a jpeg, a PDF, send it to a local
printer, etc.  The real trick would be turning the bytes sent to the
printer port into a 2D graphic :)

Is there one printer model that would cover a majority of
applications?  I could implement things in a modular style so that
additional bytes -> image converters could be plugged in its place
easily enough if people wanted additional printers, but focusing on
one to start at least would be more practical.

-Aaron