[Coco] Your stock CoCo is DriveWire-ready out-of-the-box (was: DriveWire for dummies?)

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:07:54 EST 2009

Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> If all CoCos had FLASH instead of ROM, this wouldn't even be an issue :)  But we have to deal with the designs that are baked in.  And even the DLOAD approach would require additional steps on the CoCo 3 because of the munged code in the BASIC ROM.

Well, there wouldn't be any additional step after entering that
200-character program, because the server would take over. It would
automatically restore the DLOAD functionality, and it would issue the
DLOAD command. It would then restore the keyboard (and the cursor).

I do agree with you; it would not be as convenient as a ROM Pak (which I
use myself). But any other method requires a piece of hardware of some
kind (cassette recorder and cable, ROM Pak or disk controller with ROM
chip).