[Coco] Your stock CoCo is DriveWire-ready out-of-the-box (was: DriveWire for dummies?)

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 11:34:44 EST 2009

Here is a short program that lets a CoCo 3 accept input from the bit
banger port instead of the keyboard:

1 READ N,AH$,AL$:IF N=0 THEN 5
2 A=VAL("&H"+AH$+AL$)
3 FOR I=A TO A+N-1:READ D$:POKE I,VAL("&H"+D$):NEXT I
4 GOTO 1
5 DATA
2,,F6,2C,2,1,8D,C2,F7,1,8D,FC,F6,1,A1,C1,39,1,A1,99,39,5,A1,CB,86,1,7E,8D,BD,,,

It is under 200 characters if you remove the spaces. It allows you to
remote-control the CoCo 3.

Speed is 1200 baud. The cursor is disabled because of the delay it would
impose between two characters. There is one catch: you lose input
characters when the screen scrolls. Just don't let that happen, i.e.,
send a CLS, wait a little bit, send a BASIC line, wait for the
interpreter to crunch it, and then repeat that sequence until your
program has been uploaded completely. Then RUN it.

The idea is that the DriveWire server could send a BASIC program that
would restore the DLOAD command. (In fact, the first four lines of the
previous program could be reused for that purpose, only the DATA portion
needs to be updated.) I do have a DLOAD patch somewhere for the CoCo 3;
just let me find it and I will post it.

Christian