[Coco] Drivewire for dummies?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 22 10:28:37 EST 2009

Jeremy Michea wrote:
> Ok, I'll admit when I read the threads and posts here they're all pretty much way over my head :)
>
> So basically what I want to do is play games on my coco and am trying to find the easiest cheapest solution. Disk drives are about impossible to find so I tried cocotape which works fine for some games but not others.
>
> Will drivewire be that cheap easy solution to just transfer disk images or .bin files over to play the games? I tried reading the manual online at the cloud9 site and sadly, it seems too complicated for my feeble old brain to grasp. Can someone dumb it down for me and let me know if this isn't the best solution for what I'm looking to do, what is?
>
> Thanks from the technically challenged :)

Drivewire or other similar programs will require a disk controller
because the software is a patched Disk ROM. If you already have a disk
system, you could load Drivewire from disk, but if you had a disk system
you would not need Drivewire.
It is kind of a Catch-22 situation as disk controllers are harder to
find than drives.

So, if Drivewire is what you want, just buy a disk controller with
Drivewire from Cloud-9. You will then be able to use your PC's hard
drive as a platform for Coco disk images. Drivwire permits each disk
image on the PC to be used by the Coco as if it were a real Coco drive.

You can't "transfer" disk images "over" to the Coco unless you actually
have a Coco disk system with drives. You imply you don't.
What you do is load programs from the disk image on the PC into the Coco
memory and run the programs.