[Coco] A bug in Basic09/RunB

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 8 08:50:50 EST 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Wayne Campbell wrote:
>Gene,
>
>I see you were involved in solar tracking. How far back were you able to
> go? Were you able to establish cycles in lunar patterns in relation to the
> constellations and the position of the earth relative to the sun? Or were
> you just plotting lunar cycles? I'm not good enough at all the math to
> understand all of it, but I am interested in these things.

Basically, all it did was calculate according to lunar orbitals, the
begin/end times for eclipses, solar or lunar.  For that it seemed to agree
with reality pretty good.  IIRC I called it eclipse, and it may be on rtsi.
If not, I can probably pull it up here and mail it to you.

As for how far back?  Till zero time in the Julian calendar, sometime in
4713BC.

>As to "the Church", don't forget all the backward empires that have ruled
>this planet, and how they have held back progress in the name of their own
>gain.

True.

>Anyway, I understand that your need was greater than Basic09 could deliver.
>That is too bad. I believe that the way Basic09 was designed lends itself
> to the ablility to write comple code, with comple structures, that can
> perform at or near machine level speed, depending on the runtime module,
> or lack thereof.

I agree, generally, but once the c compiler was fixed, its output was faster.
No interpretation involved.  With all the extras available for it, plus
tossing c.prep on the trash heap & using c.prep19 (I did the last 3 versions
of that FWIW) the c compiler was the powerhouse medium level programming tool
of choice.  Or assembly.  That is my favorite in fact.