[Coco] A bug in Basic09/RunB

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:58:28 EST 2009

Willard,

I think it is just the way I've learned to see how data is organized in
I-Code. In I-Code, the data is all organized by address. This means that all
you have to know is the address and you have the location of that data. I
understand the way it is being put in the parameter list, even though I do
not know if the entry is a long, or 2 ints, each addressing a different
thing. I understand that, in Basic09, all of the data is arranged
sequentially, and the address of a variable is its offset relative to the
beginning of the data memory allocation. The first $16 bytes are reserved by
Basic09 for its variables.  When a called procedure addresses a parameter,
it uses a pointer that tells it which entry in the parameter list is the
item to retrieve. It also passes its size. The address pointed to by the
parameter list points to the data memory address (as described above) in the
calling procedure where that variable's data is contained.
It reads the number of bytes provided by the called procedure as the size.
My knoweledge of the actual types of coding that are done, whether for type
checking or otherwise, is too limited to detail that process. I just know
that the way Basic09 handles data, passing anything to anything should be
possible, as long as the sum of the sizes is equal to the size requested by
the called procedure. That would seem, to me, to be the more efficient way
of dealing with parameters. But, I digress. I am grossly undereducated in
this matter.

Wayne