[Coco] Fw: A bug in Basic09/RunB

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:52:08 EST 2009

Lothan,

That makes sense, and explains more to me. I would say that the memory
tightness back in those days explains alot too, since the Basic09 program
module is already pushing the limit for how big it can be and still function
(23K, which is enormous compared to most other OS-9 memory modules). It may
well be that there just wasn't enough room to fix everything. Basic09 does
have very good parameter passing/checking otherwise. In most cases I've
seen, receive parameters are identical to passed parameters, in size and
type, arrays get passed to arrays, and records usually aren't defined more
than one field level deep.

I have done experimentation with very complex types, including
rec.fld1.fld2.fld3.fld4. As far as the procedure they are defined in is
concerned, all calculations that involve them are correct. It is only in
trying to pass a field deeper than one level as a parameter that is broken.
Entire record structures are passed without problem, so long as the
receiving variable is the same size.

It would be nice to see if these problems can be corrected without causing
Basic09 to become too large. However, I can understand if noone wants to do
that work. It is, after all, implementing features not originally found in
the program.

Wayne