[Coco] A bug in Basic09/RunB

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 6 23:34:15 EST 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 06 December 2009, Wayne Campbell wrote:
>> James,
>>
>> I would love to do that, but I have had a problem with booting the original
>> OS-9 Level 2. I get a black screen with a magenta cursor. I can see that
>> the system is booted and the startup file is being displayed by the
>> movements of the cursor. I can set date and time, though I can't see what
>> I'm typing. Using display commands from the command line yields no change.
>> Until I can fix that, I can't test anything.
>>
>> In addition to the previous post, there is a third bug. I had almost
>> entirely forgotten it. It also involves parameter passing, but deals with
>> passing fields of records. You can pass one level deep:
>>
>> RUN GFX2("FCOL",col.bl)
>>
>> but you cannot pass:
>>
>> RUN GFX2("FCOL",col.fg.bl)
>>
>> Basic09 does not return a compiler error, but the value passed during
>> execution is incorrect.
>>
>> Since all 3 of these bugs are related to parameter passing, I think the
>> routines dealing with establishment of the pointers in the list should be
>> looked at first, and then the parameter counter for receiving parameters
>> into called procedures to see why it's miscounting them.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

>> ________________________________

>>> 2
>>> 56 (Parameter Error)
>>>
>>> In addition, I added a fourth parameter, a second reference to a, and a
>>> 4th element to d. The error occurred in the same position in the array as
>>> before. Therefore, the accumulator that is supposed to count the
>>> parameter sizes is exiting before the final parameters are being
>>> processed.
>>>
>>> I do not know enough about assembly language to track down these bugs.
>>> Maybe someday, not not any time soon. If someone on this list wants to
>>> see if they can figure it out, the source to the modified Basic09 and
>>> RunB are on sourceforge.
>>>
>>> http://nitros9.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nitros9/nitros9/3rdparty/packag
>>> es/basic09/?sortdir=down
>>>
>>> I'll report anything else I find out as I go.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>
> Wayne;  AFAIK, only 1 byte has been changed is both basic09 and in runb since
> the original distribution by Tandy.  I don't have access to it at the moment
> but a cmp should spit out the diff.
>
> If this is no longer true, then Robert or Boisy please pipe up and clarify.

The stock Basic09 for OS-9 Level Two has a length of $5ACC and a CRC of
$F0388C. It exhibits the same error in passing a:byte as a+0 as Wayne
reports.
The most recent Basic09 with NitrOS-9 6309 version has a length of $5955
and a CRC of $22CA28. Same error is present.

The most likely thing that is happening is that the +0 is causing the
parameter to be passed as an integer. Since an integer is two bytes,
$0001 will be reported as $00 since a byte was expected.
This is, I think, confirmed since if you change the statement in the
second program to PARAM a:INTEGER, the correct value is obtained by the
called program.

One could argue as to whether this is a bug or feature. I think we need
to know what was intended by Microware.