[Coco] OT: Help with horrible bad NAS purchase, Linux EXT3 file system blindly used.

Sun Dec 6 03:18:34 EST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

> Modern drives map out bad blocks and map in spare blocks.

That's my understanding also. I hope that this cannot be prevented some how.
That may be my salivation if I do not return the drive to Mexico for another
one. (Five year warranty perhaps.)

I did not find the forum until after I had gotten my first replacement unit.
Lots of horror stories, I added mine own.

The question is, should I just hang on and hope for the best or try and get
Seagate to exchange the bad drive again? Another failure soon would suggest
exchanging now.

Is the Mirror software part of Linux EXT3 or must it be Maxtor / Seagate's
code? The web interface surely is. My only knowledge of Linux is that it is
something like OS-9.

If Seagate refuses to an exchange for another drive, I will have to remove
the drive, put it into one of my Windows systems and reformat it to NTFS and
then look at the drive counters.

There are instructions pointed to on the forum as to how to read the EXT3
file system under Windows, I did not see any instructions as to how the
counters can be read.

And sorry for the test message and shortened post, why the bounce of the
first long post rejection from the list server sent to me?

SHF