[Coco] error trapping

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 18:53:19 EST 2009

That is the most true allegory I have ever read. In addition to assembly language programming, I can relate my efforts with Basic09 I-Code. Figuring out every step needed in the process requires breaking each part down to the most basic steps, then building the steps into the whole part. And each part is required to be complete in itself before the next part can be dealt with.

I am now roughly 2/3 of the way through the second part of decoding I-Code. When this part is completed, I will be able to reproduce the variable declaration statements required by the procedure being decoded.

The third part will reproduce the source instructions from the procedure. At that point, I will be able to fully decompile any I-Code module. After that, I plug that engine into unpack, and you will be able to deal with merged module files. unpack already contains the code for determining if a file is a program module or not, whether or not it is I-Code, and will skip over object-code subroutines that have been merged into the file.

When unpack is complete, it will be time to start work on comparing parameter variables in one procedure with parameter variables in the corresponding called procedure. This will help with renaming variables that are common between procedures.

That is going to be fun, because Basic09 allows this:

PROCEDURE caller
DIM myArray(32):BYTE

RUN myProc(myArray)

PROCEDURE myProc
PARAM myString:STRING

Because both variables are the same size, Basic09 will put the contents of myArray into myString.

This going to take extra steps to ensure that the match is made between myArray and myString.

Wayne