[Coco] rs232/bitbanger in MESS?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 18:18:28 EST 2009

I found an image of the Deluxe RS232 pak, a .ccc file.  When mounted
in as a cartridge in MESS, I am able to invoke the built in ROM
routines and see the setup screen and go into terminal mode.  However,
I don't think the "output" is connected to anything, at least not that
I can tell.

Reading through the coco_232.c file, it seems to have routines for
reading and writing that call acia_6551..  and in machine/6551.c there
seems to be a very complete implementation of a 6551.. just can't
figure out what it actually writes to in the end yet.. lots of
unfamiliar code to read through.

I'm going to keep messing with this (pun intended) :)  Would be very
useful to have a serial port in an emulator.   VCC lists an RS232 pak
as coming in the next version, but the last update was a year and a
half ago and I'm not sure if it's being worked on.   I was told about
a DOS emulator that could do rs232, think it was Mr. Vavasour's, but
wasn't able to run it last time I tried.