[Coco] error trapping

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Dec 1 18:14:05 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 09:54:19AM +1100, Bob Devries wrote:

> Outputting the error stream to /nil would work, but you would need to do
> all your own error checking before and/or after the SHELL call.

True.  But it sounded like he already had the error trapping in place,
and just wanted to get rid of the annoying error message. ;-)

Probably the "Best" thing to do is check to see if the directory
exists first, but OS-9 and BASIC-09 conspire to make that somewhat
tricky.

I recently found an archive of some of my old code (HC11 assembly from
about 1993).  As a result, I don't currently feel I have ANY right to
say anything about anybody else's coding style. :-(

>IMHO, it would be easier to catch the error output to a temporary
>file (in the ramdisk perhaps?), and if necessary, parse that to find
>any errors.

When a command run by SHELL() bombs out and BASIC-09 get the error,
does the original return code show up in a BASIC-09 variable that an
error-trapping routine can see?  Because all you're going to get form
the standard utilities is an error number anyway...

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard