[Coco] telnet and terminal questions

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Dec 27 19:17:32 EST 2009

Question 1:  What terminal does MacOSX terminal app emulate?  (Someone
open it and say "echo $TERM", please, and post the answer.)

It has been way too long since I got to use a NeXT, and Apple may have
changed it anyway.

Question 2:  Anyone volunteer to come up with a termset entry for
xterm, and / or terminal.app's terminal, so scred could be used? M$
shell and telnet windows are ansi, so we should be OK there.

Question 2.1:  Anyone have ANY termset entries, beyond what the LII
dev system includes? (coco, vdg, abm85, kt7, ansi, abm85h)

Question 3:  What would be the best way to dynamically set the
terminal type for termcap/curses?  Termcap gets its terminal type from
a file in /dd/sys.  Curses currently gets its terminal type from
termcap, or it could use the /dd/sys/env.file.  This was sufficient in
the days of hardware terminals hard-wired to serial ports, but
wouldn't really be convient in this brave new world of people
telnetting into a CoCo. ;-)

My first thought is a stand-alone utility (tset is what it's called
under UN*X), to set up the TERM env variable, and the ttys file.  Heh,
since the environment variables  are in a file, at least it won't have
to go through hoops to try to change its parent's variables. ;-)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard