[Coco] Single board Pentium computer... "CoCo4" or

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Dec 18 12:05:03 EST 2009

I disagree that the expansion slot is a necessity. Almost all cartridge games are available now as disk images and are easy to get.

I do think that some kind of easy hardware interface is needed, that's why I've brought up the parallel port in the past. It could be easily programmed to act like a PIA, which most CoCo programmers can interface with easy enough. It could be programmed to act like MOST of the cartridge port, but not quite. Running the legacy hardware just isn't necessary when it is all emulated in software faster and more reliably now. A USB adapter card with a cartridge port on it has merit though. Steve was thinking a PCI card with a cartridge port on it. I just don't think there's a big enough market for a PCI card, but a USB adapter...

I like your idea about a USB port on a card! The problem is deciding what it can do. You'd need firmware on the card to drive a printer or storage device. A single card with two ports, one emulating a hard or floppy drive and one a printer port would be really nice, even if the printer could only produce text.