[Coco] OT: Help with horrible bad NAS purchase, Linux EXT3 file system blindly used.

Sun Dec 6 00:22:01 EST 2009

OT: Help with horrible bad NAS purchase, Linux EXT3 file system blindly
used.

Hi,

I am looking for help in deciding what to do with my Maxtor Central Axis (2
TB) Network Attached Storage unit (NAS).

I was searching the web for information again and realized that there might
be someone here who knows all about Linux and the EXT3 file system who might
be able to help me.

The device has two 1TB drives and can be operated in Mirror mode (1TB) or
Linear mode (2TB).

The file system used is Linux EXT3 but my only access is via a web interface
that offers very little information and very little control. Only by reading
forum messages did I learn that Linux EXT3 is used.

Purchased from Microcenter, the first unit was almost DOA. I spent a lot of
time before realizing
that the unit had to be returned. So I shipped it off to Mexico at a cost of
~ $35.

I got a replacement unit but one of the drives died 5 days later. So I
shipped it off to Mexico at a cost of ~ $12, Seagate paid the shipping, the
UPS store provided part of the expensive packaging which was required.

The replacement worked for  a few weeks:

2009-09-23T22:34:16-0700 This is a Notification Test E-mail
2009-11-26T14:42:20-0800 A drive configuration error has been reported for
the Maxtor Central Axis MCA-05B195..

The second line is all that I get via E-mail from the drive when it has an
error, the server at Seagate I am sure gets a lot more information which I
cannot get and they will never admit they have (Except to users who have >
10,000 units in service.)

After the Thanksgiving day failure I was able to rebuild the Mirror
successfully without loss of data.

I got a second Drive Failure message Friday:

2009-12-04T21:44:16-0800 A drive configuration error has been reported for
the Maxtor Central Axis MCA-05B195..

Again I was able to rebuild the Mirror successfully without loss of data.
----------------------------------
My question is, does the Linux EXT3 file system map out the failed sectors
so that they are not used again.

Thus if I stick with the current drives in the unit I will get to a point
where no more errors will occur and I can trust that my data is safe.

(The data consists of several computer backups which can be recreated, and
lots of TV Capture Video. (Darn that wonderful "CW_EPG" scheduling program.)

I realize that this is OT and I am very willing to take the discussion
elsewhere or via private E-mail. I have done a lot of research, posted a
detailed set of messages on the Seagate forum and can provide some more
information from the screen shots I have taken to retain some of the
information the web interface provides but does not allow you to save.

TIA to one and all.

Stephen H. Fischer