[Coco] RGB-to-VGA converter

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 18:35:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, J.P. Samson wrote:

> On Aug-31-09, at 6:13 AM, Christian Lesage wrote:
>> Steven Hirsch wrote:
>>>
>>> I rolled my own solution for displaying CoCo video on a modern LCD display
>>> and I agree completely - a great improvement in the viewing experience.
>>
>> Could you provide us with some details?
>

> For anyone who's interested, I've pulled up some of the relevant messages...

Thanks VERY much for pulling that up.  Couldn't locate the thread in my
mail reader.

I did eventually try building a low-pass filter per Roy's specification in
an attempt at cleaning up some slight vertical "banding", but it seemed to
reduce the sharpness quite noticably without really doing much to mitigate
the bands.  Perhaps I didn't get the component values quite right.  At any
rate, the artifacts are not that bothersome to me so the solution has
worked out quite well.

I've been on a concerted campaign to eliminate CRT monitors from my work
area.  The Wei-Ya box handles my C128 in 80-column mode along with the
CoCo.  I picked up a cheapie no-name composite-to-VGA converter for C64
and 128 in 40-column mode, Atari 800 and TI-99a.

The Apples are a tougher problem.  The original Apple II and IIe generate
a notoriously non-standard NTSC color signal.  Most converters produce
miserable results from the composite baseband output.  There are a few
cards in the works that generate real VGA timings and I'm looking forward
to purchasing or building one of them.

The Apple //gs has an RGB output that's a bit more mainstream, but
required a rather expensive re-scanning converter (>$200, unfortunately),
Looks great on a 17" LCD monitor in most of its modes!  As an added bonus,
the converter works incredibly well on Amiga video.  The higher resolution
interlaced modes from an A2000 are just about unusable on a CRT monitor
due to flicker.  The upconverter rescans these and presents a rock-solid,
gorgeous display.  Works better than any of the legacy scan converters as
far as I'm concerned.

All of these devices feed inputs on a Belkin KVM switcher, but there is
obviously some input cable switching required as well.

My other project is elimination of multiple keyboards.  So far, I've found
adapters that permit me to use a PC keyboard with my Amigas and the Apple
//gs.  The CoCo is still waiting patiently for a Cloud-9 keyboard adapter.
Mark has the hardware design finished, but the firmware is still on the
to-do list (last I checked).  I did chase down an earlier design by Dana
Peters (I think Mark's original adapter may have been based on this) and
might take a whack at wire-wrapping one together.

Someone else in the community was working on a keyboard adapter, but I've
lost his e-mail address and cannot for the life of me remember who it was.

Steve