[Coco] Perl PL for OS/9

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 07:48:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, TP Reitzel wrote:

> I ONLY have time to learn ONE language now and into the foreseeable
> future. TIA

Alan Turing established that there IS only one language for computing
machinery.  The rest is all syntax variations :-).

Seriously if you spend some of that valuable time studying the formalisms
of computer science you'll quickly realize that languages all look much
the same at a certain level.

<editorial>

This is why I'm so amused when I see HR-authored job descriptions that
stress "N years of experience in Turbo-Foobar, Java, you-name-it" rather
than simply looking for those with a grounding in the principles of
computation and language translators.

If you learn Perl, you'll hopefully be able to find work as a Perl
programmer.  If you learn the fundamentals (including study of
non-traditional syntax variations like, e.g. LISP, Forth, etc.) you should
be able to function in almost any environment after a short ramp-up.

</editorial>

Steve