[Coco] [Color Computer] Coco serial cable

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 01:18:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Willard Goosey<goosey at virgo.sdc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:20:38AM -0700, shadow at shadowgard.com wrote:
>> Digging thru boxes of old stuff I came across an odd CoCo serial
>> cable. I'm wondering if anybody knows what it was for. Here's the
>> pinout:
>>
> So your pinout is:
> 1 CD     n/c
> 2 RD     6  DSR
> 3 GND    7  GND
> 4 TD     2  TD
>         4-5  rts-cts
>         8-20 cd-dtr
>         11-18 unassigned-unassigned
>
> So yeah, serial printer of some sort.  Pretty normal except the 11-18
> tie.  That's something a little strange.

using pin 11 for flow control isn't that strange on a serial printer,
there are several models that do this.  pin 18 I have never seen used
on a printer, but 19 is sometimes, and especially with it tied to pin
11 i wonder if the op just miscounted.  in any case it sure looks like
a serial printer cable with the flow control mostly looped back..