[Coco] [Color Computer] Coco serial cable

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Aug 28 00:15:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 06:30:18PM -0700, shadow at shadowgard.com wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2009 at 8:30, Neil Morrison wrote:
>
> > If it's DB25 to 4-pin DIN ISTR it was a printer cable - or maybe modem?
>
> Seems to be overkill for either. Especially for a modem.

Well, you've got to make the printer's hardware happy.

> I have another cable that is just 4 pins on each end:
>
> DIN4	DB25
> 1		8
> 2		3
> 3		7
> 4		2

That's a more normal modem cable, but it has no hardware flow
control.  You can hook up to a PC with this if you use a standard
null-modem adaptor.

PC's seem to have pretty forgiving serial ports, some other machines
are really picky about things like the CTS signal.  No CTS, and the
machine will refuse to transmit.

The easiest way to make picky serial ports happy is to feed thier own
outputs into the inputs.  For this cable, tie 4-5 (RTS-CTS) and 6-20
(DSR-DTR).

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA