[Coco] Deal to first 3 responders

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:09:30 EDT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> That was the name of an article in Rainbow, on how to install a normal acia
> (sy6551) serial comm chip, in a std coco2, and do it in such a way that under
> os9, it shared the regular serial ports connections, but with I believe,
> better flow controls.

Nice mod! The only drawback I can see is that it still uses only 4 wires
to communicate with the outside world, so true hardware flow control is
out of question. I've been looking for doing something similar, but I
was thinking about putting the 6551 inside the Multi-Pak interface
instead. Yes, it would imply doing address decoding and RS-232 level
translation, while this mod merely uses one additional chip. And yes, I
know Roger sells RS-232 paks, but my goal is to free an additional slot
on the Multi-Pak interface.

Christian