[Coco] What Is curses?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Aug 20 21:17:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:09:46AM -0500, Brian Goers wrote:
> Can anyone enlighten me.

This has been throughly answered, but I did want to make a
distinction:  Curses is a high-level (for C, anyway :) abstract
library.  It talks about things like screens, windows, the characters
on the screen, and where to put the cursor.

The low-level stuff about what characters to send to the terminal, how
much time it takes to move the cursor, and where to get this data, is done
(classically) by another library, termcap.

As far as I'm concerned?  Termcap is the scary, hard to use, and ugly
one.  :-)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA