[Coco] Off-topic -- Re: One point of view

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 15:41:01 EDT 2009

________________________________
From: John W. Linville <linville at tuxdriver.com>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:33:50 AM
Subject: [Coco] Off-topic -- Re:  One point of view

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:39:33AM -0700, Wayne Campbell wrote:

> I did a little test. I took a text file that is 15,467 bytes in size, and I zipped it up in a zip file. The resulting size of the .zip file is 5,598 bytes. I would think that 10K is less than 20K no matter how you slice it. And since the histories *are going to be included* in the message posts *regardless of whether or not anyone likes it or agrees with it*, then it should be dealt with in a way that reduces the size, and still allows the users to include the history.

If people can't be bothered to elide the unneeded history from
their replies, do you really think that you can train them to pack
the history into a zip file and attach it?  I sincerely doubt it.
Afterall, even self-proclaimed experts on email communication can't
be bothered to break their lines at a reasonable width... :-)

Random thoughts...