[Coco] curses! Sucess!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Aug 16 15:30:38 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:08:01AM -0400, William Schaub wrote:
> Thats great news! If I ever get around to getting serious with OS9 I
> will want to use this with the C compiler to make (or possibly port)
> some applications.

Give me a couple of days to pound on it, make sure it works.  I've got
some quickie programs I wrote when I was first playing with curses on
my 3b1.  I'm going to transfer them over and (hopefully) compile them
under OS-9.

> actually the #1 killer app would be something like vi for os9. that line
> editor that is bundled really is painful, even with a copy of the manual
> in front of me.

Heh, gotta agree.  But there's plenty of alternitives.  People have
already mentioned TSEDIT with the LII patch.  SCRED (in the LII dev
system) is also vi-like.  There's a version of the vi clone stevie on
rtsi. Moving away from vi-clones, there's uemacs on rtsi, and
Colorful_SLED seems to work OK (but it's completely its own editor,
not an anything-clone).  I haven't tried SLED23 (colorful SLED is a
fork of SLED).

Cloud-9 still sells VED.  If you've got the money, I've never heard
anything but good things about VED.

Curses.c is long enough that I have to use Dynastar (a wordstar clone)
instead of my favorite uemacs to edit it.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard