[Coco] RAINBOW vinyl records?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sat Aug 15 01:45:39 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 1:27 AM, <wdg3rd at comcast.net> wrote:

> I will state flat out that the Color Computer cassette interface was at
> least twice as fast as any stock Commodore disk system prior to the Amiga.
> --
> Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net

I'm pretty sure that's an exaggeration.  If I remember correctly, the CoCo
cassette I/O was at 1800 bps, whereas the stock Commodore 1541 disk drive
was around 3000 bps.  (I remember this because in the CoCo's early days, I
marketed a cassette utility to allow double-speed cassette operation, and
would brag that WITH THIS UTILITY, the CoCo could do I/O faster than the
C-64 disk system.)

Of course, unlike the CoCo cassette, the Commodore disk system had direct
access to all the programs on the disk via a directory, and so as a
practical matter was in general much faster to use.  And you could fit a LOT
of small programs on it, since the minimum program size was something like a
sector instead of a whole granule (9 sectors) as under CoCo Disk Basic.

Art