[Coco] possibly selling white coco & mpi

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 12 21:13:15 EDT 2009

Darren A wrote:

> Maybe not.  This white 64K CoCo 1 sold for $41.00 a few weeks ago:
> A white MPI (item #260457783331) just sold for $37.00.

I really don't understand how the whole retro collectors scenes work in
terms of dollar worth for goods. It seems to me that variances are so wildly
random that it's impossible to predict what you're going to pay or be paid
for anything these days! :O

There are numerous instances - as no doubt many of you are aware - of
otherwise pedestrian items going for ridiculous amounts of money on the odd
occasion. Likewise, I've been frustrated on more than one occasion to see
completed auctions for items I've been looking for going for pittance.

Explain to me how a garden-variety NES with a couple of controllers and a
garden-varity NES zapper can have 21 bids and go for _more_ than a
mint-in-box, never-used Ice Blue N64 (AUD$80+)??? I picked up a NES - boxed
no less - for AUD$7 a few years back, and even then I didn't feel like I was
getting a bargain in any way... hell, I have about 5 of the things sitting
in my cupboard at home!

A while back, somewhat notoriously a copy of a particular Amiga game went
for something like $150 on eBay. My friend got all excited, knowing he had a
mint-in-box copy of it. Of course in the ensuing days, more copies popped up
on eBay and most ended with no bids at $5.

It's crazy, and I've given up trying to work it out. All you can really do
is go by what it's worth to _you_.

Regards,