[Coco] reducing size of scanned magazines

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:08:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM, J.P. Samson
<coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com<coco%2Blist at jeanpaulsamson.com>
> wrote:

> On Aug-11-09, at 9:38 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> I've been experimenting with the magazine scans on maltedmedia.  Playing
>> around with settings in Acrobat, I've managed to get the file sizes down
>> drastically without losing readability.
>>

> Are you simply compressing the pages as images, or have you used Adobe
> Acrobat's ClearScan OCR feature?
>
> -- JP

I've been using two different options in Acrobat.  First the "Optimize
Scanned PDF" tool which has several settings and a general slider for
quality vs size, this will get you down a factor of 8-15 and can take out
the yellowed paper effect, and then the "Reduce file size" option to
compatibility with version 9, which takes about 10-20% more off.   I've
played around a bit with the settings on the first tool,  but I'm sure
further tweaking could yield even better results.  It seems a 10x reduction
is size without compromising readability of any text is quite realistic.