[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

Bill Cousert wrcousert at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 14:36:41 EDT 2009

Just about all electronics these days are disposable. It's cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old.

I bought a Vivitar digital camera a few years ago for $100. I cracked the LCD display and called to see how much it cost to fix. They said $150 plus labor. I tossed it in the trash.

But I don't think the situation is as bad as it looks. 30 years ago, a TRS-80 model I with dual drives, expansion interface and 48k RAM cost nearly $5,000 (probably more than $10,000 in 2009 dollars). Today I can get a really nice notebook computer for less than $400. I think the savings more than make up for it.