[Coco] "The Shack" re-branding

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Aug 6 07:31:37 EDT 2009

I agree in principal, but there actually IS a decent substitute -- the BASIC Stamp and similar micro controllers. Projects using them do exactly what you describe. They are a little more difficult to work with though, and require a larger computer to program. Something simple like the CoCo with a more accessible I/O buss (no plug in cards -- or a card with wire-wrap, spring clip, or screw terminals that has a physical connection to the board such as anchor screws near the connector) with it's own simple video (composite would do, but basic VGA would be better) and keyboard would be easier to use. That or maybe just a USB connection and a program that would allow accessing the board with a special terminal program/emulator (monitor program). I think some of them work like that now. Plugging into another computer does take some of the "charm" away, but also makes it cheap. Then the whole machine could be programmed and set up to do some robotic task. Face it, PCs are ubiquitous and older ones are cheap to free. As long as the monitor program would run okay on a P4 that should be fine. Make the monitor in Windows and Linux versions, or just a Linux live CD to make things simpler. Emulators don't have the charm of the CoCo, but functionally can be the same. It's the hardware portion, using it as a controller for some project, that can't really be emulated. Working on the emulator then downloading to a dumb box with just a USB port and the I/O connections would be fine -- as long as no display was needed. Limitations again....

-----------
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:16:49 -0400
From: William Schaub <wschaub at steubentech.com>

Actually I think a return of 8 bit microcomputers (or any small easily
understood and programmable machine at the hardware level) would be
great as a way to bring up a new generation of software developers. I
know I wouldn't be where I am today without being exposed to the coco at
home and apple II and c64 machines (and of course early pcs and macs) at
school.

There really is no substitute today for the simple home computers of the
80s where you could read the manual and get started right away learning
how computers work and learning programming. but not only that but
learning that the computer really is just a simple machine that executes
instructions given to it and not some horribly complex magic box that
nobody knows about.  I'm not seriously suggesting people use such
systems for normal computing, just that they should be used for early
introduction to computers so that people have a hands on practical
introduction to computers and software on a simple easily understood
system. so they can learn the basic overall concepts that they can apply
to larger more modern systems.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"