[Coco] flat panel LCD TVs - WAS Re: nitros-9 support

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Aug 4 09:27:45 EDT 2009

Stephen Adolph wrote:
> oh.
> Did not know that.
> The problem I am mostly trying to address, is the resolution for
> reading 80 column text.
> What is the best solution?

As you have already been given a solution, some background as to why
what you tried did not work.

An 80 column display requires a monitor bandwidth of about 5 to 8 Mhz.

Because of the way that composite video works in the US, it is limited
to a bit less than 3.8 Mhz.  In the video there is a color sync burst at
3.58 Mhz to keep the colors aligned.  The composite video circuit
generally has a low pass filter to separate the displayed video from the
color burst.

In the old days, there were hacks published to convert black and white
TVs to have direct video input.  I tried one, and with the hardware I
had, I could only get 72 characters to be readable.

So to get higher resolutions than about 40 characters on a traditional
color TV, you need to separate feeds for at least each color.

In the old days, an analog circuit of the bandwidth needed for the color
computer was very expensive.  Setting up a circuit with discrete color
inputs like the COCO 3 Monitor did, was relatively cheap, however it
made the monitor matched to a specific computer.

-John
wb8ytw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only