[Coco] some progress...

Mon Aug 3 18:03:30 EDT 2009

Hi,

OS-9 is very flexable, in fact you can read and write "FLEX" disks just like
"DECB" disks using the special program.  I have done both, well, I just read
the "FLEX" disks but I often read / wrote "DECB" disks as I was using my own
version of "SLED" for the editing of a "DECB" program.

But all the program does is to transfer files from "FLEX" or "DECB" disks to
OS-9 files or the reverse.

> There are a lot of applications for coco written for the base machine
> however.
> It  looks to me like you give up on those applications.

Some "DECB" programs can be run using a special program running on OS-9.

> Or are you forever just switching back and forth, to suit the task at
> hand?  Sounds like that is the case.

Yes, some "DECB" programs cannot be run at all.

What someone did was to patch "DECB" to be able to run under OS-9.

Both my floppy drives were 80 Track 2 Sided.

The descriptors were set up for 80T 2S but once a OS-9 floppy is formatted
with a lesser track / side count, OS-9 will recognize and read the OS-9
floppy just fine.

I often read OS-9 35T 1S disks this way.

For some of the lesser floppy OS-9 formats I used sformat, part of the sdisk
package.

The utilities for the standard floppy driver can not do all that sdisk 's
sformat can do.

Thus I sometimes had to boot with an OS-9 system disk with sdisk.

Other times, the standard OS-9 boot disk was used.

> I was almost positive there was an OS9 command that could read/write
> RSDOS disks. It may have been as simple as 'rsdos'. Can't remember
> for sure.

That's the name of one of the programs I believe.

SHF