[Coco] question about 3.5 inch floppies

afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 09:56:26 EDT 2009

Quoting Stephen Adolph <twospruces at gmail.com>:

> Interestingly, I have 3 different versions of the same Panasonicn
> JU-257.  Only one of them can be selected to be drive 0 or 1.
>
> I think I have read that, in the coco, you want to use hard drive
> selects...no twisted cables.

Note assume drives are numbered 0..3, so 0=first, 1=second etc.

If you have a drive that is intended for the PC and therefore
perminently set as drive 1, you can use it as drive 1 in the CoCo. If
you wish to use 2 PC drives, you will need a cable with a twist, but
not a PC cable, the twist needs to be I believe pins 10-12. With this
done you can use 2 PC drives as drives 0 and 1 on the CoCo (or most
other machines that expects jumpered drives, I have used this on my
Dragons, BBC Micros etc without problems).

Cheers.

Phill.