[Coco] question about file transfers from PC

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 19:23:49 EDT 2009

On 8/2/09, Stephen Adolph wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I understand the drivewire product,
>
> I need to have a switchable EEPROM containing the HDB-DOS image, and
> standard DOS, in order to use drivewire AND my floppies.

No.  HDB-DOS for DriveWire allows you to use both.  For example, if
you have two floppy drives (drives 0 and 1), you can enter the command
DRIVE OFF 1.  This tells HDB-DOS that drives 0 and 1 are real floppy
drives and drives 2-255 are virtual disks in the currently selected
slot on the server. This also prevents you from from being able to
access virtual disks 0 and 1. Entering DRIVE ON disables real floppy
access completely and allows you access virtual disks 0-255.

An unfortunate side effect of this implementation is that when you
want to copy data between a real floppy and a virtual disk, the
virtual disk number must be greater than the highest real floppy drive
number which you have enabled. This means you can't copy directly
between real drive 0 and a typical DSK file which contains only a
single virtual disk. The work-around for this problem is to first copy
virtual disk 0 to a higher numbered virtual disk and then enable the
real floppy drive(s).

That should make it as clear as mud  :)

Darren