[Coco] I should know better

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Aug 2 17:28:56 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 05:05:02PM -0400, William Schaub wrote:
> Thanks for verifying that this is the case. I read that too and thought
> it would be useful to take advantage of that somehow.

I was thinking of configuration files for hardware that both BASIC and
OS-9 could use (say, a hard drive or a network thingie (Roger's
bluetooth pak, for example)).  Especially a hard drive, where both OSs
share the resource and need to not stomp on each other's data.  Run a
BASIC program to configure it, and it leaves a module in high RAM.
Boot OS-9, and the module's there, in memory.

> I'm hoping that maybe it does indeed look in memory somehow but that
> more than just having the raw module image in a memory location of your
> choosing would be needed, like say also putting a pointer to the module
> at a certain location or having extra header information poked into
> memory with the image or something.

Level I might actually do the advertised memory scan, but just of its
64K.  I don't know enough about LI to guess where in that 64K to set
up a module in BASIC so that it wouldn't get clobbered during the boot
process.

Also, it might not be that hard to write a seperate LII utility that
would do the memory scan, and link any modules found into the global
module list.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA