[Coco] Coco serial cable (printers)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Aug 30 22:07:52 EDT 2009

I didn't know the LP VIII and DMP-100 only had one pin.... one line of a 7-9 dot tall character at a time... man, that WOULD be SLOW!!! The DMP-105/106 were seven pin printers IIRC. Standard was a nine pin by then, but RS had to save some money somewhere!! I'm being sarcastic of course... you could by a Star or Gorilla 9 pin for little more than a DMP-105 or 106. Then you had to cobble your own serial cable (or buy one) or get a serial/parallel converter, whereas the 105/106 had the nice little round connector for the CoCo serial cable.

-----------
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 03:47:46 -0400
From: Christian Lesage <hyperfrog at gmail.com>

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:

> > The DMP-105 was the successor to the LP-VII with a white case instead of Mercedes silver.  To the best of my knowledge, that was the only change.  Just as slow and noisy and just as crappy print.  (A dot-matrix impact printer with only one pin is sort of limited from the start).

Allow me to have my say in this incredibly popular thread!

The DMP printer that was the same as the Line Printer VII was the
DMP-100, not the 105. I know, 'cause I bought a second-hand one in 1986
or so, and it was crappy as hell. I remember writing at least three

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"