[Coco] GW-BASIC vs. Color Computer BASIC

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Aug 12 11:15:25 EDT 2009

I used a couple GW-BASIC programs as a guide to writing a couple CoCo
programs. The "Checks3" checkbook program is one (on the list site under
"farna"), the genealogy program (CoCo Family Recorder, CCFR) was
another. If you're using a CoCo 1 or 2, FORGET IT! The display itself is
the biggest problem. only 40 columns. As I recall some of the other
commands aren't close enough either. With the CoCo3 it's possible to use
a GW-BASIC program as a framework/guide, but you end up re-writing 80%
or more of the code. The original GW-BASIC genealogy program used the
native 80 column text screen display, which was a plus, but the CoCo
display command formats are a bit different. That was the easy part.
Everything else had to be re-written to work, and some 4-5 line
(occasionally more!) subroutines had to be written to replicate simpler
commands in GW-BASIC. I can't recall any exact examples, it was too long
ago, but I do recall working for the better part of a year "converting"
the set of programs for CCFR. Figure over 500 hours. There were 8-10
individual programs that were called from a menu for specific functions,
but the programs weren't very long. It was originally written to run in
128K, I think, I forget whether 512K was required or not now (on the
CoCo3). I didn't feel bad at all about claiming the program as my own,
not after writing/re-writing 80-90% of the code, and modifying the
remaining 10-20%! I did, however, put a note in the program listing that
it was based on the GW-BASIC program by name and author, so I did give
some credit.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"