[Coco] I should know better

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Aug 2 16:00:24 EDT 2009

...than to believe the Tandy OS-9 manuals.

Just from reading the docs, I was under the impression that, on boot,
OS-9 scanned through all of memory and linked in any modules it
found.

Should have known it didn't, at least under LII.  That would take a
long time.

But I was wondering if it actually did, as I can see certain useful
applications for this.  So I tested it.

My Setup:  6809 512K CoCo3, NitrOS-9 3.2.6

First, I looked over the output of mmap, and chose block 0x30, as one
unlikely to get clobbered during the boot process.

Used the rsdos command to copy an executable OS-9 module to a DECB
disk.  (cputype, actually.  I wanted something small in case I had to
do this by hand.)

Rebooted to DECB.

Modified a BASIC program to read the file and LPOKE it into memory
starting at 0x600000.  Another program to LPEEK and print the results
to verify the module is there.

Loaded cputtype in at 0x60000.  Verified it was intact.

Booted NitrOS-9.

Ran mdir.  No cputype.  Link couldn't find it either.

Rebooted to DECB.  cputype still present in block 0x30.

Looked through my disks and found a stock OS-9LII boot disk.  Booted
that.  No cputype.

So, on boot, OS-9LII does NOT scan through all of memory looking for
valid modules.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA